Monday, February 02, 2004

The Captain moves on...

Well another kids icon passed away, on 1/23/04, the one and only Captain Kangaroo. I was a little premature on this song though, I knew he played Clarabell the clown but had already wrote the song before the official death bio came out. I have to keep true to the music so it stands without a Clarabell reference. Future versions will be written after the official bio is out. Say hi to Ray Rayner, Captain.

Goodbye Captain Kangaroo
In childhood I knew you well
What were you a Captain of?
I could never tell,
You sported that red coat
Spoke with Mr. Green Jeans
Channel 11 on the TV
Bob Keeshan your real name

And it seemed to me you lived your life
Like a Captain without Tenille
Always knowing how it was
A bowl haircut on an old guy would feel.
And it seemed I’ve know you
When I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your red jacket ever did

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home